It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:30 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

OllieG wrote:
Quote:
MG Siegler

MG Siegler is a joker, Apple fanboy, who doesn't know what he is talking about. He may have seen one of 15 test devices that Amazon may have been experimenting with. It's easy for contractors to leak a failed device and make a joke of a reporter like MG Siegler believe this is the thing. Just wait for the Amazon event to figure out what they are going to do.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:35 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

A quick look at the Pixel QI website tells me they need to hire an English translator to work on their website. I didn't dig too much deeper but I do agree that we need good sunlight screens. The recent Fujitsu Q550 decided to just use really bright LEDs for the sunlight feature, apparently it works OK but seems like the wrong approach to me. The regular old Kindle displays are nothing short of fantastic at what they do, if the refresh was faster people might not miss the color as much and would make it viable for other tasks.

If Amazon really wants to put a hurt on other devices they will offer a trade in program, if they would give me $150 or more for my 43 they might have a customer. I recently bought an old Fujitsu ST5112 12 inch tablet to use on my desk at work to read PDF and do a few other things, the 43 is only a music device at this time because I find most other things don't work well for me on that size display.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:50 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I guess we can wait 3 days for the big invite-only event in New York on September 28.

Imagine that, a piece of electronic hardware may have a release event in the US, what is the World coming to? :badgrin:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:06 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I appreciate the idea that an Amazon Tablet will help to energize the market the same way the iPad did.

In that same vein I'm wondering about the other ways an Amazon tablet could affect the perceptions of the Archos tablets:
  • For Amazon to reach the desired price point, I think the Kindle Tablet will likely be a plastic shell device, much like its eReader brethren. If this is what Amazon releases it could make plastic shell tablets more acceptable/desirable and that would be a very good thing indeed for Archos tablets.
  • A very inexpensive frill-less Amazon tablet could help to further segment the market and place the Archos tabs more clearly in the role of "least expensive of the full-featured tablets"

I just hope TI has resolved the OMAP4 issues and gets their chip out there for Archos to start selling 1.5Ghz models soon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
OllieG wrote:
Quote:
MG Siegler

MG Siegler is a joker, Apple fanboy, who doesn't know what he is talking about. He may have seen one of 15 test devices that Amazon may have been experimenting with. It's easy for contractors to leak a failed device and make a joke of a reporter like MG Siegler believe this is the thing. Just wait for the Amazon event to figure out what they are going to do.

No doubt the G9 tabs are better overall value for folks that want their media WITH them, rather via some lame storage cloud. That said, Amazon will have huge volume out in November. Will Archos get product out in volume this year, or follow the sporadic channel shipments of last year? The inability to get product out cost Archos shelf space in Best Buy and Walmart for the big selling season.

Seems Archos should have focused on the 4430 SoC and put 1gb ram in the higher end models, rather than 512mb ram for all and 1.5ghz SoC in higher end models. Archos is making it unnecessarily hard on themselves to get their full G9 portfolio out in time to make a difference this season. Case in point Archos has already had to make changes and also push dates out for 1.5ghz.

Very true about the Apple love they have and the desire to create the same ecosystem with Amazon, as iTunes has. Big reason why only small flash storage and no sd card slot. Not to mention no Google market. Amazon is counting on a LOT of people using their B rate iTunes effort.