Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I just got an email for the latest Fujitsu Slate, a continuation of their long running line of tablets and convertables. While not directly an Android or iOS competitor, the Win7pro OS gives you full functionality and they still claim 8 hour battery life.
http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecomme ... eries=Q550

A lot more money thanks in part to the Windows OS, but again a fully functional computer.

The downsides as I see them are the price, USB 2 (not USB 3), no option for larger spinning hard drive, not listed as SDXC (only SD/SDHC), and extra $100 to get the 4 cell battery for the 8 hour performance, no ethernet without and adapter.

They could have used a fold out X jack for ethernet, but now you need to tie up the only USB port it has to get wired connection which is kind of required for some of the work that I do, along with a USB to RS232 adpater, so now I would need to have a hub with me at all times....

Still going to think about this since I was looking at spending more than $200 on an Android tablet, if I was looking at dropping the amount of money for an iPad2, there would be little thought about which I would buy now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloha Greg,

I just ordered the Acer Iconia W500 Win7 Slate. At $533.18 from Amazon USA this 10" slate will replace my Archos 101. I'll be selling my Archos 101, an Archos 7HT, and an Archos 9 to offset the cost of the W500.

I also own an Asus EEE Slate ep121 - 4/64.

For the difference in price you might want to consider the W500.

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:07 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yes, you are right that I should look into some of the other devices. I have owned Fujitsu computers in the past, most recently one of the tiny little u810 convertible devices, they make nice stuff and that stuff costs a little premium.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The Fujitsu is getting a little beat up at the tabletPC review forums http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/fujitsu/ ... Seems it is not all it was hyped to be, though they said the stylus works great which is something I would want that the Iconia lacks. Sample size is still too small and only been in the hands of real users for a day so maybe with a little optimization it will get better.

I did find one thing that might be of interest to either Q550 or Iconia W500 users... The cheapo leather keyboard/case for the 10 inch Android tablets (flytouch3) might just work with both of these Windows tablets. They are both slightly wider (like 5mm) so it might not fit in the brackets, but if it fits it might be a great choice for protective case and keyboard.

I was originally thinking about a Flytouch 2 or 3, but the Win7 platform would let me do what I need right now, and allow real work for the future. Of course the Q550 is also nearly 4 times the price of the FT3 so I am waiting to see how people like it before chucking money at it.