Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:39 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:35 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

TLDR: I bought a Tab and took it back. Here's why.

I got an Archos 70 for xmas and liked Android so much I though I'd spend the cash and get the more expensive Galaxy Tab. Here is my comparison of the 2 devices.

Build Quality: Winner Tab

The Tab is shorter but thicker and weighs a fair bit more than the Archos. The screen is A LOT better and it just feels more solid in your hand.

Speed: Winner Tab

The OS just feels snappier in everything you do. No slow downs at all.

Software: Winner Archos

With 2.2 on both and the ability to run any launcher this is pretty close. I couldn't get the Samsung apps to run because I bought it without a data plan and couldn't run any of the Samsung apps without a sim. The included Samsung ui is really junky. The apps drawer isn't sorted alphabetically automatically. The tab included a upnp app and a few other things but I liked the Archos vanilla Android feel better.

Media: Winner Archos

Archos plays smb shares and every movie file I can find out of the box. The tab needs to be rooted and run Mount Manager to play media files over the network. You need to do some searching for slow-work and cifs to get this working. When you do get the networking working the included video player supports very few codecs. I had to install Rockplayer to play some divx files and it would only play them with software acceleration so the playback was horrible. Choppy and nearly unwatchable.
The archos on the other hand does all of this out of the box. The upnp play back seems to work but searching though media files doesn't work well. I just like smb shares over dnla. That's just me.

Other Stuff: Winner Archos

The tabs speakers are on the bottom so if your not using headphones the sound is always pointing down and not towards you.

No kickstand on the Tab which may be flimsy on the Archos but is still better than nothing.

The Android buttons on the bottom of the tab leave no room to hold the device horizontally without touching them. I'm a lefty so I had to hold it with my right hand and was always hitting the buttons. Rockplayer wouldn't play the files with the Tab flipped 180 degrees. On the archos the extra width gives you something to hold on to without hitting the buttons.

Over All: Winner Archos

The Tab is prettier, build better, and snappier but I'm using this thing mostly for watching videos in bed before I go to sleep. The crappy media support on the Tab was a killer for me. The fact that the Tab is also twice as much as the 70 also killed it for me.

The Archos 70 has it where it counts I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:50 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I was all set up to buy a Galaxy Tab before I found the A70.

I have no use or desire to have a tablet with 3G connectivity, and for less than half the price the A70 simply couldn't be passed up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:15 am 
Archos User
Archos User

No contest for the money.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:25 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have to say I had the 70 it was great for the money until it broke. i then bought the tab at costco for 499 (my company pays the 3g fee) yes double the price but double the speed. the tab flies in every way over the 70 BUT its a ton more money. if you have extra money go with the tab it is doubly as good! if you dont have the cash you get an AWESOME bargain in the 70. In my mind its that simple.

Last edited by sillyrabbitt123 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:36 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I'm actually surprised you thought the Tab was better in build quality than the Archos. I mean... i've heard that the A70 250GB feels a bit more solid than the A70 8GB.... but even comparing my 250GB to the Tab (mind you i've only ever handled the Tab at my local Best Buy)... the Tab just feels rather cheap in build quality. pretty much 100% plastic from what i could tell (at least Archos seems to add a little metal to the shell), and it just seemed like it was hollow. I honestly don't think there's any reason for a flash-based tablet to be that thick. That's the one thing that kinda threw me off. My 250GB is relatively heavy... being slightly heavier than the 8GB model.... but when i first looked at the Tab and saw how thick it was.... i though "Wow, that'll probably be a bit heavy". It wasn't. At least not as heavy as it looked like it would have been.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the comparison. I have been scouring the net for someone with real world experience of both the A70IT and the Tab. Your review is one of the better ones of those I've seen so far. I'm in a similar position in that I want a media player first and foremost. Movies only not music. This is to replace my old (but unkillable) AV500. All the other stuff apps, nav, youtube, sharing, etc etc I don't really need. I was drawn to the Tab over the 70 due to the higher res screen and the mostly favourable reviews of the screen quality. However if the codec support is as bad as you say then it's a non starter really.
Do you notice the lower res screen of the Archos cf the Tab? Is the quality a lot worse?
I'm deliberating waititng until 7 inch AMOLED screens come out but as they will probably be in Samsung machines, the codec support will still suck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:01 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

actually I use my tab for all my videos, it has played everything Ive thrown at it, divx, xvid and 720p mkv all play fine. IF you also have a problem with it playing anything with the stock video player you could always use vplayer or es file explorer.

But the archos 70 is a good bargain but I preferred the tab as it does it all, but its your choice and wether you have the money.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:26 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I cannot deny the Tab is a more appealing device in some respects. Pity is it so expensive.

You don't happen to know what the subtitle support on the Tab is like? I just cannot seem to find this info anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:55 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Google news mentioned Samsung will be bringing a WiFi-only version to the U.S.. No idea at what price, but three memory models were mentioned. I'm guessing there will be a 16gb version for under $300. How far under is up to Samsung and the retail outlets that pick it up. Might make an interesting showdown once the Tab and 70 are close in price.