Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Blackberry Playbook
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Just had a play with a Blackberry Playbook in Best Buy, screen looks very good, there is some lag when rotating the screen. But it wasn't obvious how you exited applications, you seemed to have to shrink them, but this was a bit hit and miss, sometimes they would shrink down other times they would spring back to full screen. Was also quite expensive for a 7" screen, especially now Archos have resolved the Blackberry tethering.

Post subject: Re: Blackberry Playbook
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It is expensive. It has nice specs, but they don't seem that great compared to other devices which are less. Also, not sure where their niche is considering they are neither iOS or Google. The Blackberry market is not exactly stellar... seems like a very limited device from the beginning.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:10 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Quote:
Staples, Office Depot, and Best Buy in the USA have dropped the price on the 16 GB WIFI only model of the playbook to $299 and you also get a free $100 giftcard.

http://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-slates/rim-slashes-the-cost-of-the-playbook-but-is-it-enough/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:00 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I bought one the other day and I LOVE it. Screen is gorgeous and, once you understand how to navigate the OS, it's very easy to use.

Posted above in a hurry - just to add, the build quality is phenomenal and I find web surfing and working on it very pleasant. I've been using the included Documents To Go to edit powerpoint presentations and word documents. Easy peasy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

An OS update to v.2 is supposed to be released later this month and is rumoured to include dedicated e-mail, calendar and contacts. I'm really looking forward to these additions.

Overall, I find it a nicer experience than my Honeycomb tablet (Asus Transformer with the dock).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have had an Archos 70 250gb for a while but was seduced by the Playbook (64gb, $400). The hardware is amazing--gorgeous and very responsive screen. The Archos sometimes is very much not responsive. The Playbook feels very solid and premium. I would not describe the Archos that way. But the Playbook has issues.

It is smaller over all in size than the Archos, yet less portable due to slightly more width--harder to hold one-handed and will not fit in back pockets like the Archos does.
The headphone jack is in awkward location--the top right corner facing up when in landscape orientation.
There's no way to edit saved bookmarks (the URL name, actual URL address or their organization. All you can do is delete.).
No way to edit URL in address bar if URL text is off screen.
Power button is too small. A minor quibble, but it is.
Crazy slow viewing of large photos. It once took 27 seconds to bring up a very large jpeg. It was a file intended for printing, so stoopid large. Repeat testing is around 12-15 seconds for same file.
It has no support for ogg or FLAC. At all.
Can't connect to the 'App World' when bluetooth tethering. Only via wifi.
No possibility of connecting a digital camera or USB stick/card reader.
Won't charge over USB (unless screen off or asleep?--unconfirmed but I read this).
And this is just me, but it smells strange. A little like a car tire (rubber backing probably).

The OS is super slick, gorgeous, fast and multitasks like a champ. The OS elegance and touch screen quality are the only tablets that rival an iPad IMHO. But the OS lacks many basic things right now. And I am an ogg user and am really disappointed in that regard. And it's awkward headphone placement and too wide body make it impractical for walk-around media use. So a very mixed bag.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yes, sadly, too, the OS update to v.2, which will bring native email, calender, and contacts, isn't expected out before February 2012. This is a shame... I paid $299 for my 16GB version. It's on sale this week (and last) for $199 ($299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB). I think that if they had released the updated OS and sold had this sale, they might have had a chance to convince a fair number of people to buy these things - headphone jack placement and power button idiosyncracies notwithstanding! As it stands, I don't think many people will be tempted even at these prices and the updated OS will come and go with a whimper. What I'm driving at is that putting these things in a few thousand users hands at bargain prices WITH the updated OS might have made some converts and made for some word of mouth sales. As it stands, people will buy them, get annoyed by the idiosyncracies and the lack of email, calendar and contacts and NOT recmommend them to people. IF the OS update comes in February, theyll be competing against Tegra 3/ICS tablets, newer OMAP talets and, by summer, Windows 8 tablets...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi im new to all this technology im looking to buy my daughter a tablet ive just seen an Archos 7" 250gb in a sale on tv. Whic is best for her ( shes only 14 ) this one or a blackberry playbook. Sorry if ive posted in an incorrect place. thanks in advance x :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:05 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The Playbook hardware (particularly the screen) wins by a landslide. However, there is no expansion slot to add storage to the Playbook and its future is up in the air as RIM seems determined to flush itself down the toilet. Having said that, rumours are afoot that the Playbook may be on sale next week for as little as $99 for the 16GB version (presumably $199 for 32GB and $299 for 64GB). I bought my 16Gb for $299 and feel that at that price it was worth it.

The Playbook is very quick, has a gorgeous display and is great for couch surfing the internet, watching streaming video and checking e-mail (currently webmail only). It comes with Documents2Go installed, so Word and Excel files can be created, viewed and edited on the tablet. Oddly, Powerpoint files can be viewed only (Documents2Go on Android, WinMobile, and iOS can edit ppt/pptx files). AppWorld (RIM's online market) has a meagre amount of apps on offer, but I've found everything that I want and need - I don't care too much about access to apps, though. If your daughter is going to want to play games and download hundreds of apps, she will be frustrated by the Playbook.

Android is NOT a great out of the box experience, regardless of hardware. The end user must be willing to tweak settings and download and install apps to get Android to work the way that they want. This is Android's strength and its weakness. The Playbook is much better out of the box, but limited due to app selection. iOS has a great out of box experience, great hardware, and the best app selection. Sadly, it's at least twice the price of the Archos or Playbook (when latter is on sale). I'd figure out how your daughter is likely to use the tablet and make a decision based on that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have too many tablets but I would get a 16 gig Playbook if I found it on a $99 deal. For the best experience though, the iPad and iOS can not be beat, as was mentioned previously. While expensive, I think its worth it after enduring the budget Android experiment. I still have a Blackberry for work so the Playbook would be used in conjunction with it. I just love gadgets!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:28 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

From what I heard, Blackberry is dropping out of the tablet market as it discontinued their Playbook. That explains the sudden price drop.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:06 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

GeoD wrote:
From what I heard, Blackberry is dropping out of the tablet market as it discontinued their Playbook. That explains the sudden price drop.

Not that this would be a surprising move, but I can't find any evidence of it - where did you hear this?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:12 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Several people I work with have them and they told me they have been discontinued. Also:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry ... ok-671217/

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11 ... ctober.10/

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/10/17/black ... nued-list/

But then I find this article:
http://www.vision2mobile.com/news/2011/ ... ybook.aspx

Who knows what the truth is!! But the Playbook's price is very cheap ($150) this year compared to last year.