Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:17 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Has anyone checked out the new Philips GoGear Connect. I cannot find much information on it at the moment, but it seems like an interesting competitor to the new Archos tablets.

http://pulse.philips.com/blog/2010/08/3 ... p4-player/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2uF-KH-ijE

Still no capacitive display though :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:05 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks for the links.

I'm not overly impressed with 3.2 inch screens myself. What really impresses me is Philips. Philips is a big player which every company should be wary of. Philips does get Google's ear.

Exciting times now and forever!!!

Allen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:23 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
Philips does get Google's ear.

Ew!

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The price doesn't impress me one bit. Its too expensive for the screen size and type. Granted the resistive screen looks to be pretty good, just like Archos' models. I guess the major advantages that it holds is that it has Marketplace and GPS (if I'm not mistaken).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:14 am 
Archos User
Archos User

If only Archos were google's partner, then they could have the marketplace, and then hopefully I'll have one more friend who actually knows Archos (all my friends have never heard of archos, they thought my A5 was an Ipad...)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:01 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
Thanks for the links.

I'm not overly impressed with 3.2 inch screens myself. What really impresses me is Philips. Philips is a big player which every company should be wary of. Philips does get Google's ear.

Exciting times now and forever!!!

Allen

I'm half and half on the smaller screen size. I don't generally watch videos on the go at all, whether it be on my PSP, laptop, or A5 IMT. Come to think of it, the only times I ever really watch TV (if I'm lucky) is at 5:00pm, and 9:00pm when Glenn Beck and Hannity are on respectively. Other than that, maybe I'll watch a few youtube videos here and there, but not much more. I mainly use my A5 IMT for music and light internet browsing. So I couldn't really care less about the huge screen size. However, the GPS feature on the Philips GoGear has me interested; I had always wanted to buy the GPS adapter for my A5 IMT, but I've heard nothing but negative reviews so I didn't bother. However, I'm not sure how functional it will be given the small screen size.

Now, I'm up in the air about whether I should go with the Archos 43, the Philips GoGear, or perhaps another device like the Samsung YP-G50. Right now I'm leaning towards the Philips and Samsung devices simply due to the poor Archos customer service. I've always liked Samsung and Philips and I know I won't have a problem with customer service (if I ever need it). Lets face it, Samsung and Philips both make reliable products while Archos is debatable. Unless Archos decides to market a 43 with a big hard drive I think I'll go with the GoGear.

The thing is, Archos is aiming for mass appeal with their new players; in other words, they're doing what every other company is doing: small, light, powerful Android devices. How can a small company compete my copying the big guys? They have to make themselves stand out and right now they are not doing that. If I'm going to get the same thing from Philips and Archos, I might as well buy the GoGear because at least I'll have better support.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:01 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

chumpu wrote:
If only Archos were google's partner, then they could have the marketplace

And then I'd be happy because Archos would finally have to make a fully Android compatible device to do that! Win/win/win! :D

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:46 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Not sure what the indecision is about.

GoGear Connect: $250 (guesstimated US price), 3.2" display, 400x240 res, GPS, Market

Archos 43: $200, 4.3" display, 854x480 res, no GPS, "Market-lite"

So pay $50 extra for a smaller display with 1/4th the resolution, weaker processor, just so I can have the "Google Experience." Hmm, yes, that makes sense to me.

Support? Google "philips support forum" and prepare for a good laugh.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:51 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just heard that this will cost $320 US(250 Euro). They will sell about 2(my guess) at that price. The only thing they offer better than the Ipod touch is a MicroSD card slot. You could get the A43 and the A28 and still have change to by a small MicroSD card.

Last edited by Photon on Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:56 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The $320 number is translated from the announced EUD 250 pricing. There is no way it will be for that number. Even the USD 250 is too high.

The elephant in the room in the "pocketable" category is the iPod Touch @ USD 229, which has the brand strength and will be sold everywhere. Every competitor will need to be lower than Apple's price, no exception.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:00 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I agree that price is very high. I saw a Youtube video and they mentioned that price.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:05 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Quote:
Philips GoGear Connect: first Android MP4 Player

Did you see the headline of this Pulse story?
Is this really true?
I think we know better.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:24 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'll take the $149 32 since to me it's the best all around buy at the price thats actually the direct competitor to the gogear and the ipod touch

A28 wins over ipod nano & anything else that size category, you get a lot more on that one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:39 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

zandoli wrote:
Quote:
Philips GoGear Connect: first Android MP4 Player

Did you see the headline of this Pulse story?
Is this really true?
I think we know better.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but I think they can get away with that claim since the A5 IT doesn't have Google Marketplace support (officially anyway).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

But since sept. 2011 Philips has the Connect 3 version of the Gogear. It has a HVGA screen, still 3.2 inch capacitive. It runs Android 2.3.5
http://www.usa.philips.com/c/mp3-media- ... 37/prd/en/

At BestBuy it is $219
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Philips+-+A ... =16&loc=02