Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Which is Better? As per this comparision.
Poll ended at Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:34 pm
Archos 605wifi 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Nokia N800 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Do not know 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Both are same 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
They belongs to a diffrent category so can not compare. 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have both of the devices and compared them. To be very frank I like the N800 most due to following reason:

1) Can play media almost all Video, Audio as Archos 605 does. On Maemo (OS2008 platform) OS a few applications available, which gives you ability to play most of the video and audio on N800. You can install new players which has iTouch like interface Touch scrolling.
2) YouTube : Both device can play YouTube video but on N800 you can yuse different functionality to Save, view, play the videos. Even you can watch video while you are on youtube website.
3) Skype: its a well know VOIP application comes pre installed on new OS2008 on N800.
4) Flash Player: Is a part of Opera, no matter you visit any website which uses Flash animation, will play it.
5) USB HOST: There is an application that can use the same USB por as HOST so that you can connect Keybaord, Flash drive, Flash readers, Self powered HDDs.
6) Internet on USB: You may use same usb port to surf on internet if you do not have access to wireless.
7) Bluetooth: Using bluetooth on N800 you can do lot of things like: Connect Bluetooth keybaord, PHONE, other computer to transfer files, information etc.
8 ) Themes and Latest applications: since its based on Maemo(open source) you can taste new applications daily.
9) Record Audio form mic
10) Has 2 Memory card slots: could act as Card Reader
11) FM: Could play FM, built in application to set/play FM
12) Internet Radio: N800 could use/play Internet Radio
13) UPnP Player: Could use any Upnp based player to stream media files on N800.
14) Last FM: application available on N800, so that you can play/share you music with the world.
15) Web cam for video conferencing. Web cam could be rotate at 180 degree angel.
16) Battery life is quite good.

Despite of these differences between both device has some similarities:
1) Brighter and wider screen: Both has more wider screen.
2) Both has Wifi b/g
3) Both can play Audio Video but Archos can record video too.
4) Stream: Media files could be stream from other computers on both device.
5) Size are almost same.
6) Memory: N800 truly based on Memory cards but Archos does not, Achos has its own HDD starting at 4gb, 30gb etc. N800 could support SDHC cards.

I know these 2 devices are a bit different in their category but still if really need to compare 2 devices (as in other post) then its worth that Archos 605 wifi do not stand in front of N800.

I am a Fan of Archos, but still I hope, I did a fair comparision and you will like it.

thanks, Arc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:22 am 
My father in-law has the n800 and the n810. I currently own the av700 and the 704. The days of the av700 are long gone so I looked at the 704 compared to the n800. The biggest difference is it's reliability. In a 20 minute test, his n800 never crashed when surfing the web. Mine crashed 4 times in the same window and when it didn't half of those sights, it never fully loaded (lucky if it loaded 50% of the pages). While the 704 records TV and the n800 doesn't, the reliability of the 704 is so bad, that it is almost as if it doesn't record TV -- in other words that was a wash. The touch screen, we looked at in two manners - picture quality and the functionality of the touch screen. The n800 won on both of these. I know the resolution is higher on the 704, but the finish of the the n800 is much nicer than the matte screen on the 704. Also the vibrance on brightness of the 704 really lacked compared to the n800. As far as the accuracy and dependability of the touch screens, the Archos was murdered in this category. The Nokia was quick with the responses to the touch and was very accurate. The Archos would often not respond to touches and often you would press a button on the right side of the screen, only to have it do something on the complete opposite. An example is when I tried to delete a video. The video name is in the left half of the screen. The delete button is on the far right. I would select the video name and then press the "x" delete button way over on the right side. instead of deleting the file, it would select the video file all the way over on the right side, that was aligned at the same height, but 5 inches to the left. It was as if it was getting the orders for the y coordinates but was using x coordinates from where ever it wanted. Funny thing is, I reselected the video file and pressed the delete button SIX times, to have it only select the same video file aligned with the delete button. Finally on the seventh try it gave me the prompt to delete the video. VERY FRUSTRATING and embarrassing when my father in law asks, why I keep going with this company.

Sorry to say that the Archos doesn't hold a candle to the Nokia.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Nokia makes their n800 and n810 open source. My father in-law had about 50 cool apps. installed on his unit. I do not know why Archos fights this. If they don't know how to properly to get their units running, why not let someone else give it a shot?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yes, you are right. There are lots of tablets available on Maemor.org which is open source but Archos does not provide any application support. Even they have released the SDK but I have not seen any major outcome yet. I hope Archos would come up with something interesting as Nokia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't believe that the N800 plays the same video formats, resolutions, bitrates, nor the same flash video such as Youtube.

Search for N800 if you want to read more reasons why Archos is better for Multimedia, video and that sort of thing.

The Nokia N800 and N810 aren't bad, and if they had built in HSDPA I probably would use those as mobile VOIP phones. A bunch of other maemo apps might be practical, such as streaming Last.fm on HSDPA would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:43 pm 
Charbax wrote:
I don't believe that the N800 plays the same video formats, resolutions, bitrates, nor the same flash video such as Youtube.

Search for N800 if you want to read more reasons why Archos is better for Multimedia, video and that sort of thing.

The Nokia N800 and N810 aren't bad, and if they had built in HSDPA I probably would use those as mobile VOIP phones. A bunch of other maemo apps might be practical, such as streaming Last.fm on HSDPA would be great.

You seem to understand this a bit more than me, but when we placed mine and my father-in-laws next to each other, it was very obvious that the Nokia touch screen was a lot more accurate and responsive. Is this because of the hardware or the software?

Post subject: You should believe it
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:

Yes, you should believe it, I guess you have not tested or tried it yourself. you may have impression of old OS i.e. OS2007. If you have checked it with latest OS2008, you would sure admit it yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The N800 definately looks nice. When I get a chance I will check one out in person and if I like it I think I'm going to trade in my 605 simple because it supports open development which means more applications and reasons to use it in the long term even when Nokia stop selling and supporting it.

I am definately not liking Archos's closed and restricted environment. The Archos 605 is my first Archos product and I do like it but it is very limited as it is. There is so much more potential behind the 605 if given the chance...

Ted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

N800 might be open, but the kind of things you can program for it are very limited, cause Nokia limits you to use the ARM part of the Texas Instruments chip. Everything that has to do with multimedia is on a DSP chip, nobody not even Nokia can use the DSP to accelerate multimedia applications on the N810.

arunchowdhary, I haven't really tested OS2008 I tested the N810 though, and from what I heard 720x576 H264 does not work, so doesn't Mpeg4 Simple Profile with Bframes, full screen smooth flash playback from sites such as Youtube, AC3 audio, MP4 container H264 with AAC audio, no Mpeg2 at DVD resolution support nor VOB support. No Windows Media DRM support on the Nokia, no Dish Networks Mpeg2 DVR recordings support..

And I can probably continue for several minutes more listing the amount of things that the Archos can do and which the Nokia N810 cannot do. Or you can simply search this forum for N800 or N810 if you want to learn about all the differences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well I think it's a fair comparison, but in all honesty, you've listed only the strengths of the Nokia vs. the Archos. How about the other way around? For instance:

1. Archos is actually portable and can be carried in a pocket
2. Archos comes up to 160 gb hdd but also has a flash model.
3. Archos can record video or audio or both with DVR.
4. Archos can play back up to 480p with component outputs on DVR
5. Archos can play back 5.1 surround sound with SPDIF output on DVR
6. Archos can play back s-video, component, or composite with DVR
7. With plugins, Archos plays back h.264 (now with b-frame support), AC3, podcasts, AAC, and unencrypted VOB files
8. Archos supports srt subtitle format
9. Archos can be mounted in WMP or HDD mode and doubles as a 160 5400 rpm external harddrive (fyi, I've gotten 13.2 megabytes/sec transfer rates when copying data onto the archos)
10. With a dock, archos supports USB host for reading (and writing on FAT32 drives)
11. Archos plays back at up to DVD resolution (PAL/NTSC)
12. Archos allows to you move, rename, copy, and delete files
13. Archos Content Portal allows you to buy and download movies directly onto device.

etc etc. The list goes on. If you want a fair comparison, you should list the strengths and weakness of both devices.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
so the N8x0 could be.

Quote:
I have already mentioned about it.

Quote:
N800 could record Audio using mic. This point was also taken care in previous post.

Quote:
I am agree, Archos could do that but N8x0 could not for now.

Quote:
Same as point 4

Quote:
Same as point 4

7. With plugins, Archos plays back h.264 (now with b-frame support),
AC3, podcasts, AAC, and unencrypted VOB files
Quote:
I guess for plugins you have to a pay a lot, but for Maemo application, utilities you donot have to pay a single penny and anybody can develope these application but for Archos, I don't think its possible as of now.

Quote:
Same as point 4

9. Archos can be mounted in WMP or HDD mode and doubles as a 160 5400 rpm external harddrive (fyi, I've gotten 13.2 megabytes/sec transfer rates when copying data onto the archos)
Quote:
You could use SDHC cards to get upto 32 GB space, and it would be immovable part unlike Archos uses HDD

10. With a dock, archos supports USB host for reading (and writing on FAT32 drives)
Quote:
Who says N8x0 does not support that? even Archos would not support connecting other devices like Keyboard etc.

Quote:
Same as Point 4

Quote:
Com on only files could do Archos? Have you tried N8x0? See what else it could do.

13. Archos Content Portal allows you to buy and download movies directly onto device.
Quote:
Have you heard of Canola?

I would say Point 4 and related functions could not supported by N8x0 for now, but I guess later some application would come up and provide these features.

Post subject: Archos is more limited
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
N800 might be open, but the kind of things you can program for it are very limited, cause Nokia limits you to use the ARM part of the Texas Instruments chip. Everything that has to do with multimedia is on a DSP chip, nobody not even Nokia can use the DSP to accelerate multimedia applications on the N810.

arunchowdhary, I haven't really tested OS2008 I tested the N810 though, and from what I heard 720x576 H264 does not work, so doesn't Mpeg4 Simple Profile with Bframes, full screen smooth flash playback from sites such as Youtube, AC3 audio, MP4 container H264 with AAC audio, no Mpeg2 at DVD resolution support nor VOB support. No Windows Media DRM support on the Nokia, no Dish Networks Mpeg2 DVR recordings support..

And I can probably continue for several minutes more listing the amount of things that the Archos can do and which the Nokia N810 cannot do. Or you can simply search this forum for N800 or N810 if you want to learn about all the differences.

I agree with your point, but the truth is N8x0 has more features to please like me, also it has more possibilities to do more stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

arunchowdhary wrote:
Quote:
so the N8x0 could be.

Quote:
I have already mentioned about it.

Quote:
N800 could record Audio using mic. This point was also taken care in previous post.

Quote:
I am agree, Archos could do that but N8x0 could not for now.

Quote:
Same as point 4

Quote:
Same as point 4

7. With plugins, Archos plays back h.264 (now with b-frame support),
AC3, podcasts, AAC, and unencrypted VOB files
Quote:
I guess for plugins you have to a pay a lot, but for Maemo application, utilities you donot have to pay a single penny and anybody can develope these application but for Archos, I don't think its possible as of now.

Quote:
Same as point 4

Quote:
You could use SDHC cards to get upto 32 GB space, and it would be immovable part unlike Archos uses HDD

Quote:
Who says N8x0 does not support that? even Archos would not support connecting other devices like Keyboard etc.

Quote:
Same as Point 4

Quote:
Com on only files could do Archos? Have you tried N8x0? See what else it could do.

Quote:
Have you heard of Canola?

I would say Point 4 and related functions could not supported by N8x0 for now, but I guess later some application would come up and provide these features.

To simply say "same as point 4" diminishes the fact that the N800 CANNOT do these things and are thus features that the A605 provides by default (or with the purchase of accessories/plugins) where the N800 may POSSIBLY support in the future. Not to mention, planning for "what may be available" is usually a bad idea when considering embedded devices. You should consider what it provides out of the box and only consider possible future accessories as icing on the cake But, if we go along with that than we can add to archos' list of things it MAY be able to do in the future:

1. SDK
2. HD resolution
3. FM Remote
4. HDSPA
etc etc

Moreover, if you're like me and have the 1.7.13 firmware then guess what, you have access to Qtopia and a linux shell! That means you're own cross compiled browsers, audio players, servers, vnc, third party apps etc etc. But even though I have that ability, I find myself only using the core OS and features because the ability to download huge amounts of media and place them on the device is why I bought it. I have at least 4 other desktops, 2 other laptops, and a cell phone to perform my other more resource intensive duties. I find it tedious to use a touchscreen for anything where there is intensive typing/clicking so I don't look for a media playing device for those capabilities at this time.

And just to keep things equal, flash memory takes more power and is slower to transfer (and actually presents the same likelihood for data corruption as a drive, considering the exposed contacts and the limited number of memory writes on this media). And last I checked, I haven't seen any SDHC 32gb cards for sale that cost under $200. So for a N800 with a 32gb card (40 gb total) you're looking at a total cost of $241 + $200 = $441 (the only 32 gb card I found was a sandisk ultra II and costs $400, so this is a LOW estimate as currently this total figure would be more like $641). For an Archos 80gb + all plugins, you can pay $400 and have DOUBLE the memory capacity and access to many more formats. Or, for $500, you can get an full Dell Vostro laptop with 160gb hdd and vista installed and 1 year of support. Time to get some perspective....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
To simply say "same as point 4" diminishes the fact that the N800 CANNOT do these things and are thus features that the A605 provides by default (or with the purchase of accessories/plugins) where the N800 may POSSIBLY support in the future. Not to mention, planning for "what may be available" is usually a bad idea when considering embedded devices. You should consider what it provides out of the box and only consider possible future accessories as icing on the cake But, if we go along with that than we can add to archos' list of things it MAY be able to do in the future:

1. SDK
2. HD resolution
3. FM Remote
4. HDSPA
etc etc

Moreover, if you're like me and have the 1.7.13 firmware then guess what, you have access to Qtopia and a linux shell! That means you're own cross compiled browsers, audio players, servers, vnc, third party apps etc etc. But even though I have that ability, I find myself only using the core OS and features because the ability to download huge amounts of media and place them on the device is why I bought it. I have at least 4 other desktops, 2 other laptops, and a cell phone to perform my other more resource intensive duties. I find it tedious to use a touchscreen for anything where there is intensive typing/clicking so I don't look for a media playing device for those capabilities at this time.

And just to keep things equal, flash memory takes more power and is slower to transfer (and actually presents the same likelihood for data corruption as a drive, considering the exposed contacts and the limited number of memory writes on this media). And last I checked, I haven't seen any SDHC 32gb cards for sale that cost under $200. So for a N800 with a 32gb card (40 gb total) you're looking at a total cost of $241 + $200 = $441 (the only 32 gb card I found was a sandisk ultra II and costs $400, so this is a LOW estimate as currently this total figure would be more like $641). For an Archos 80gb + all plugins, you can pay $400 and have DOUBLE the memory capacity and access to many more formats. Or, for $500, you can get an full Dell Vostro laptop with 160gb hdd and vista installed and 1 year of support. Time to get some perspective....

Ok, I think you forgot that there are still long list of features which Archos 605 wifi does not support at all, even though its would not happen in future with it, due to hardware limitation. Like Bluetooth, Web cam and Support for GPS using bluetooth, keyboard etc.

after a long thought I came to conclusion that Archos 605 cannot give juice as much as N8x0 could. The only major things lacks in N8x0 is Recording and support for HDMI, VOB playing features. But look at other side N8x0 gives you a lot of other things.

Archos 605 releases a new firmware which already has blocked for hacking but Nokia did not not do that, because its an Open Source platform where anybody can have fulfill their own wish.

And last point you said 200 bucks for 32gb, you are right nobody would pay for that, but how about 16gb X 2, N800 could hold 2 SDHC cards. ( I do not know if you were aware this or not)

As far as Plugins, you always have to depend on Archos (when the do or do not release, you never ever know) or may be who knows Archos could stop support for Archos 605 by today itself? But on Nokia you do not have to pay because as you know its an Open source my dear.

You have to pay again and again for every single Plugin you want from Archos but not for N8x0 they are all free. You know Archos history they could stop support anytime, once they will launch a new edition of Archos 605. but Look at nokia they did support for older N800 even if they launched the N810.

I know its a pain, but you have to admit it, that Archos sucks. I have 3 gadgets AV400, Archos 604wifi, Archos 605Wifi but now I have switched to Nokia starting N800.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:24 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

arunchowdhary wrote:
Quote:
Ok, I think you forgot that there are still long list of features which Archos 605 wifi does not support at all, even though its would not happen in future with it, due to hardware limitation. Like Bluetooth, Web cam and Support for GPS using bluetooth, keyboard etc.

after a long thought I came to conclusion that Archos 605 cannot give juice as much as N8x0 could. The only major things lacks in N8x0 is Recording and support for HDMI, VOB playing features. But look at other side N8x0 gives you a lot of other things.

Archos 605 releases a new firmware which already has blocked for hacking but Nokia did not not do that, because its an Open Source platform where anybody can have fulfill their own wish.

And last point you said 200 bucks for 32gb, you are right nobody would pay for that, but how about 16gb X 2, N800 could hold 2 SDHC cards. ( I do not know if you were aware this or not)

As far as Plugins, you always have to depend on Archos (when the do or do not release, you never ever know) or may be who knows Archos could stop support for Archos 605 by today itself? But on Nokia you do not have to pay because as you know its an Open source my dear.

You have to pay again and again for every single Plugin you want from Archos but not for N8x0 they are all free. You know Archos history they could stop support anytime, once they will launch a new edition of Archos 605. but Look at nokia they did support for older N800 even if they launched the N810.

I know its a pain, but you have to admit it, that Archos sucks. I have 3 gadgets AV400, Archos 604wifi, Archos 605Wifi but now I have switched to Nokia starting N800.

This could go on and on. We're obviously looking for different feature sets. For starters:

- Don't want/need bluetooth; my cell and my laptops do this
- Don't want/need webcame; my laptops do this; archos has a helmet cam for recording video if I wanted it (which I dont)
- Don't need GPS; have a Garmin nuvi that has an 2008 americas map and 2007 Europe map, works much better than any media device attempting to simulate the same and is smaller than my wallet
- Don't need keyboard, wouldn't ever consider typing something lengthy on any portable device because my eyes would tire before my fingers

Next:

- 2 16 gb SDHC cards will cost from $120-180 (and those that are $60 each are dog slow and probably made cheaply - ie. won't last very long before data corruption appears). Ok, so you've saved $20 over the $200 I stated before. The Sandisk ultra II 16 gb is $147 on Amazon.....

The point is, I was satisfied with the Archos features when I bought it. The patches up until 1.7.13 made it even better. The most recent patches didn't add enough to justify my upgrading (except the h.264 fixes, I've been considering because of that). I've watched tons of movies and shows and use it for 2 hours each day on my commute since early November without having to fumble through SD cards to find out what is stored where or work some conversion software to get the formats working so I can use the device. Yes, I spent a solid amount of money on it, but I've reached the point where I'm satisfied so I don't have to spend anything else and I don't have to constantly look for "the next best thing" (and actually, the N800 is the OLD best thing from over a year ago).

I'm glad you're satisfied with the Nokia and decided it's a better fit for you than the Archos. However, 3/4's of the users on this forum would be to differ. But in the end, the only opinion that matters to me is my own, and I'm satisfied. You can bet this means I won't be wasting my time going to a Nokia forum to say my Archos is better than their xxxx device.....I'm too busy re-watching all my DVDs in lossless VOB format to waste time on that.