Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:06 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Gmini202XS
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi I've got a Gmini202XS with has been brilliant for ages But has now started to play up big time,
It might turn on - it might not
When fast forwarding it some times gets stuck and starts to make a strange whirring noise so I have to hold down the off button and hope it restarts again
It sometimes just stops mid track !

When I first used to attach it to the computer it came up as Gmini however I noticed that now it comes up as jukebox(much to my ipod obssessed ) teenage daughters amusment.

It suggest on Archos site to do a disc scan I did but no improvement.

I was thinking of reformatting but I would need an idiots step by step guide its a bit sketchy on Archos site

Had great help from here before !!! Here's hoping .

Thanks for reading

Post subject: Re: Gmini202XS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:27 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I've had experience where the hard drive has become so corrupted a scan disk no longer fixes it and you need a reformat. assuming the hardware is all ok and the battery still has life in it....

First thing is copy out everything you need to keep if not already backed up, including the system folder - otherwise you might lose some wallpapers etc.

You don't say which operating system you have, but generally in windows, open my computer, right click on the archos drive letter and select format, the important thing is to select FAT32 as the system, not the microsoft default NTFS. This selection is available on drives smaller than 30GB in most versions of windows. If not googling will get you some free utilities that will enable a fat32 format. Select a FULL format, not a quick one. Let in run, then copy back all your folders, and do an arclib update. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for that Fred
It seems to have worked.
Whilst I was playing around with it yesterday I noticed a reformat on the Gmini 202xS at the bottom of the systems page. would that have done the same thing?
Also I noticed that when it had been reformatted it was saying there was 18gb free space any idea where the other 2gb are ? As its supposed to have 20gb.
Thanks again for your help.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:17 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

yes, the internal format is the same... as long it's working enough for you to get to it from the menu!

18GB is ok. Manufacturers spec in different units to the way windows reports space, so the 20G decimal becomes 18.6G hexadecimal plus some space used for file allocation table and archos system.