Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:15 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Home menu Gmini 402
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi everyone,

I bought the Gmini 402 in 2006 and only got it charged for the first time last week, as weird as it sounds. I already tried to call tech support, just in case, but the device is obviously out of warranty, so that they couldn't help.

Trouble is I can't go further than the initial blue screen after it turns on, so to say nowhere.
I have read the instructions leaflet and browsed the forum but nothing that'd come in handy showed up.

Does anyone know what I could do ? Maybe a hint: when I press the off button, it takes about 10 sec to turn off instead of 3 as indicated in instructions guide.

Have a nice one.
Thierry

Post subject: Re: Home menu Gmini 402
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:53 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The li-ion battery has a life of maybe 2 years at good performance. After 6 years I would expect it to power for a few minutes, particularly if not cycled. I would get one off ebay and try a new battery if you want to keep the 402. Around £10 or so - on my 400 I had to solder the 2 leads to the printed circuit board, not too difficult if you have an iron with a small tip. New battery will get to its max power once ran down and charged several times.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi fredc,

thanks for your reply, I will probably follow your advice and look for a new battery.
Still, I am not sure I really get it: the device turns on and could stay on long if I wouldn`t turn it off. How can it be the battery

Thierry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:43 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The battery may have enough juice to power the chip and lcd but not spin up the hard drive (which will need several hundred mA) to load the system. Or the hd has frozen or jammed with no use? Without being able to test it the battery seems the most likely thing. Can you hear/feel any vibration from the hd spinning up?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

no, nothing from the HD, I guess the best option would be to get a new battery then.
Thanks for your help.

Thierry