Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:35 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:49 am 
Has anyone here replaced a hard disk drive on a GMini 402? My unit does not work now...not sure it is the hard drive or not. I can find a matching Hitachi drive to buy, but I am looking for some experience doing this and diagnostics I can run to see if it is really the drive or the electonics. With the hard drive removed, will the GMini 402 even turn on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:41 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

yes it does still turn on when the hdd is removed!
(i think lol) took it apart a bit ago!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm interested too... but I'm considering changing it with a bigger one, 40gb would be perfect... is it possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:50 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ok... Now I have a MK3006GAL inside 8)! it works perfectly... I think 30gb is the biggest size available: 40GB ones are thicker than 5mm (at least according to toshiba hdds, I don't know if other manufacturers produce 5mm 40gb hdd)

EDIT: I just realized that MK4007GAL is of the same series, but 40GB single plate (5mm)... but it doesn't mind, I think it's much harder to find and much more expensive, and 30gb is enough for me

Briefly, the compatible hdds are:

MK2006GAL - 20 GB (it's the unit the gmini comes with)
MK2004GAL - 20 GB (see below)
MK3006GAL - 30 GB
MK4007GAL - 40 GB
Other new models with perpendicular recording (see below)

EDIT:
seems like some units have the MK2004GAL inside, I've added it to the list above.

I also add that toshiba now (2008) produces other models with perpendicular recording that offer much larger capacities mantaining the 5mm thickness, for example i saw a 80gb model.
Remember to chek that the model you are considering has the right connector, not the zif/lif

Last edited by fedcas on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: hard drive failure ..
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

just wondered if anyone might have more info on this, i.e. how easy it is to accomplish (just unscrew/unplug & replace etc) and whether the drive need to be fresh & formatted etc or will do this on first boot up etc) ..?

basically, my dad's was just dropped (!) and the drive just keeps clicking on boot, which i guess means the heads can't find the initial track etc.

anyhoo, any thoughts/tips or photos would be much appreciated ..! ;-)

ps tried to connect to PC for diagnostics, but wouldn't even show up (altho device showed USB connected and PC recognised connection with system sound).

cheers ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

no particular difficulties... just remove the 3 little screws on 2 edges, lever the 2 opposite edges with a screwdriver or a knife, remove the old hdd, remove the plastic insulation and the copper shielding from it and apply them to the new one, insert the new hdd and reassemble everything.

I mounted the hdd as it arrived to me, but it was used, so I think that the driver must be formatted in FAT32 before mounting it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ok, thanks.

finally, just wonder if i tried an existing HDD with music on it, whether it would pick this up and/or trash what's already one there ..?

ps also think this drive might already be formatted to NTFS, so does that mean it wouldn't work in any case do you think ..?

cheers ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I think there is no way you can lose your data. If the disk is in FAT32 format it would probably work and you could read the old data in it. If it's in NTFS I think it won't work, you should format it (I don't remember if the archos has a format command, anyway you should resolve by attaching via usb to the computer and formatting)

But I'm not completely sure, you have to try

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:50 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ahh . what the heck. don't see how the archos would automatically format the used drive - and thnk you're right re NTFS. will see and let you know how i get on ;-)

cheers ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hi,

have managed to remove the back of my gmini 400 (which incidentally only had 2 screws), only the hard drive was actually smaller than a standard laptop one - which has occurred to me at one point, that this might be the case .. x-(

anyhoo, anyone know what these are referred to as, so i can source a replacement ..?

ps the drive now removed is a toshiba MK2004GAL.

cheers ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

what do you mean? of course the drive inside is not a 2.5" one (the gmini itself is smaller than a 2.5" drive :p). The MK2004GAL is the same drive that my gmini 402cc had inside.

Those are 1.8" drives. If you want a compatible drive you have to look for MK3006GAL for 30gb or MK4007GAL for 40gb. Probably also other brands, not only toshiba, produces compatible drives, but I'm not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hi,

sorry, already managed to confirm this as soon as i'd sent the post - so sorry for that .. ;)

anyhoo, quick look around the net appears to show a real shortage of these "older" drives, in favour of the newer iPod ZIF format ones.

so, anyone any good tips for cheap sources, let me know ..! 8)

cheers ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

look for it on ebay, I bought this one: http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0113767319

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

exactly what i've been doing, although only seemed like one on there - at least until i included worldwide search ;).

anyway, will see how i get on - wish me luck ..

cheers .. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:54 am 
Has anyone tried stuffing an 8mm thick hdd into their gmini? I'd really like to go up to 80+ GB and it looks I could squish 3mm more hdd in there. An 80GB drive is relatively cheap nowadays and actually easier to find than the 5mm thick 40GB ones.
I'll give it a go unless someone has tried it and failed. If so, please save me the hassle, otherwise I'll report back with my results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:00 pm 
I haven't seen anyone verify a working 40 GB HDD replacement so I thought I'd chime to confirm that it does indeed work! MK4007GAL installed without any issue whatsoever, so for those who want to, upgrade without fear!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

somethingelse222 wrote:
Has anyone tried stuffing an 8mm thick hdd into their gmini? I'd really like to go up to 80+ GB and it looks I could squish 3mm more hdd in there. An 80GB drive is relatively cheap nowadays and actually easier to find than the 5mm thick 40GB ones.
I'll give it a go unless someone has tried it and failed. If so, please save me the hassle, otherwise I'll report back with my results.

Did you find out a way to mount the 8mm?

Aniway read the 4th post, I updated it, seems like there are new bigger 5mm models with perpendicular recording