Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:33 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I bought an AV400 a couple of years back. Nearly went crazy trying to figure it out. Got it out again and am feeling the early signs of freaking out. I've been able to bring over music and pics with no problem. The issue I am having is with movies. I convert a DVD to windows media format (as the manual says), my AV400 won't play it. Convert to MP4 (as a google search found), unit won't recognize it either. Also, I followed the instructions for firmware update (download to computer, drag over to Data file on AV400, no results. Any suggestions to steer me in the right direction. I would like to update firmware and watch dvd's. Thanks. -John in San Antonio.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Alright , I've got the firmware instlled, any suggestions on how to get it to recognize movies that have been converted would be appreciate. Also, can I put movies (dvd's) onto a CF card and play? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Never mind. Archos makes a pathetic device that they should be embarrased about.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:52 am 

you need to encode them correctly, the machine you have is old now and its not pathetic it you check what was avalible at the time. the av400 is a solid piece of kit.
now a quick search on the board would have answered your question on video encoding, if your ripping a dvd then you will need a program like fairuse wizard - the free version will be fine for your needs as you wont need higher definination. if you have videos in divx xvid most of the time they will play, but if they have VBR sound track then they may fail or go out of sync on that machine. there is an easy and excellent solution to this, recode these movies with pocket divx encoder - use the av400 template (all done with pics when you start it up) then its just a case of drag and drop. the files its plays natively are avi containers with divx or xvid codec simple profile with mp3 CBR sound track. mp4 i think (but could be wrong here) is newer format and wont play on that machine. pocket divx encoder is an excellent toool to see you on your way.
the av400 will perform as intended with the correct codecs.
roy

edit, dont bother even trying to encode with wmv - its a very buggy format at the best of times on all the players and takes an age to encode