Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:54 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So i turn it on the blue booting screen shows then it says Read access error. Can't read hard drive. and theres an option to format i try that it does'nt work Can I fix? please help

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have the EXACT same problem. I emailed Archos and they were of NO help as they said it was a discountined model.

I found these suggestions and will try them and let you know if either works.
http://www.fixya.com/support/t149055-gm ... eze_format

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:23 am 

are the drives clicking etc when you turn them on?. if so it could be a sign of a shoot drive.
but if not, take off the back plate (4 screws i think) and if memory serves the drive is just behind it (its been some years since ive looked inside the gmini), when you have visual access to the drive look for the hard drive connectors, sometimes these have been known to work loose and cause these problems, even if they are not loose just disconnect them (give them a spray with contact cleaner) and re insert the connectors. this will hopefully re seat the connections as they tarnish over time being copper.
if its a failed drive you will have to try to source one, from memory they use zip or ziff connectors (again its been years since i played with the internals of a gmini) which wasnt the easyiest drives to find when they were actually still being made, get the model number then it will be a case of trying to track one down.
keep us posted, if you have any more trouble post here and i will take a screwdriver to my one.
roy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

roylovelock:

I have the same problem with my Gmini XS 100. I have taken apart the player, but I could not find the connections for the hard drive. I'm assuming this is similar to the 402 below, but I thought you might be able to give some insight on what to do. When I get to the read access error, I plug it into my computer and I will get the balloon message stating that I'm using a hub-port, and then it will go away and the Gmini is not recognized in My Computer to format. Any suggestions? :) Will disconnecting the hard drive reset the player?

Megan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi there. My hubby actually took the darn thing apart and switched the hard drive out with another one we had and it still would not work! I can't remember what happened. It started up, but it would not work right for some reason.

We have two that are still working and we do NOT use the playlist function on them anymore as I think that was what caused the problem with it. Something within the skipping a track or going backwards within the playlist makes it all upset.

It is really upsetting as we love the little "guys" that we still have! They are great otherwise. We have not actually seen the new video ipods that are out yet. Maybe they will be the replacements for these???? But they are not 20g are they :(