Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:06 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My Gmini 402 starts up erratically. Sometimes it starts up correctly, other times it hangs. It also will unexpectedly shut down while in use. Is this the sign of a bad chip or is it (I hope) a bad hard disk? The material is all backed up, so I can recover all of its contents if it's the disk.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:57 am 

plug it into your pc and run a scandisk, tick both options, this will take a while so make sure you plug the mains in.
if it takes a very long while you most likely have some bad sectors which hopefully this proceedure will sort for you.
i very much doubt if the machine is at fault, at the age it is the hard drive is the most obvious.
let me know how it goes
roy

edit, it maybe worth while re appling the firmware after just in case the firmware is also corrupted as it may have sat on a bad sector.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:00 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the reply -

Before posting my message, I ran the disk check/fix, which didn't take but a few minutes, reformatted the drive, which took seconds, and reinstalled the firmware. At first, it looked like everything was OK, but when I started to load the data the process stalled and the problems came back. I also noticed something rattling inside - don't know what it is.

I suspect it's a disk problem because when motherboard components fail, they usually don't get erratic - they just stop the device from working and that's that. A replacement disk costs less than 70 Euros and Archos tech support advises that they no longer service the Gmini 402, so it's probably worth giving it a shot. Then again, the newer products have a lot more disk capacity and many more cool features so it's tempting to give myself a delayed Christmas present.