Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:49 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:57 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Greetings! I just pulled my GMini 400 out of a desk drawer where it's been hiding for a couple of years. I'd like to check if it's still working, but I can't find the AC adapter (charger) for it. Does anyone know how many volts I'm supposed to provide? I'm guessing 6 volts, positive tip for charger?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:04 am 

nope 5volt +tip, i think the charger was originally 1amp as well (the player will only draw the max spec that needed so a 2amp charger wont cause any problems).
if the player has been sitting still not used for 2 years i doubt very much that the battery will be any good, you can get a replacement cell from http://www.newmp3technology.com
the gmini 400/ 402 are well worth the hassle of repair, they are truely an stable and useable machine at a very small size. our 402 is still serving my mrs very well after all these years. i still see these little babys swap on ebay for quiet a good price as well
roy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you for the reply. I found a 5V 2A charger in my big box of chargers and charged it overnight. When I came out this morning, the charge light was indicating a full charge. It runs for around an hour before shutting down. :(

Thanks for the link to the site with the replacement batteries. I thought I'd remembered reading before that the Gen 1 iPod battery was also compatible? From the site with the replacement battery, it appears that the leads must be soldered directly to the circuit board, so even though the iPod battery has a connector on it, I could simply snip that connector and solder?

For example, this one on Ebay is $13 shipped and claims to have 2200 mah, which is more than 50% greater than the 1400 mah model at the other site...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-For-APPLE-iPod-10GB-Mac-M8709LL-A_W0QQitemZ260275719183QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOther_MP3_Player_Accessories?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I found a new battery on Ebay at a great price. It shipped from Hong Kong, but arrived very quickly. I installed it yesterday, and my GMini seems to be holding a much better charge now. With an iPod, a Zune, and a GMini, I'll have a disc-based player for every occasion. :) Oh, I forgot, I also have an old Archos jukebox. As I recall, that one simply uses 4 AA batteries and a 2.5 inch hard drive. I wonder if I could put one of the newer higher-capacity drives in that one -- like a 100 GB drive or something? Time to investigate.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:37 am 

sorry late replying, been very busy on here.
thats excellent news with the gmini, not that hard of a job either!
as for the archos jukebox, you should be able to put up to 120gb drive in there. the av300 runs happily with a 120gb in.
also you may want to look at alternative firmware for that player, im pretty sure rockbox support that line.
have fun, let us know how you get on.
roy