Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi. New joiner, especially to the world of android. I've been exclusively apple since goodness knows when, but the need for a tablet at work to use on my downtime, I recalled the Archos name from years ago, and the Titanium range was appearing to get good reviews, plus they had an 8" tablet which was exactly what I was after.

I can't say I'm finding it easy, as it's just not as seamless and user friendly as the ipad, but I can put up with that.

I'm having trouble transferring files, primarily video, and more importantly, they keep disappearing or not playing. It also appears to be in connection with the sd card.

What I've done so far: Tried Airdroid to transfer the files. Looks great, but the interface doesn't recognise the size of my sd card, just say's it's the same as the internal, and there's no way to actually select the sd card to copy data too.

Tried using iSyncr lite (and cheetahsync). Was v.impressed with isyncr as just the addition of a playlist on iTunes and hey presto. But oh my god, 3 hours almost to transfer just over 3gb of video files. They they disappeared.

Inbetween all this I used Android File Transfer. It kept dropping it's connection, which I think I may have traced to a faulty SD card. Works much quicker that the wifi (I thought wifi was quicker than usb?), but same as with isyncr, the files appeared, played initially, then they would just disappear from the sd card. A folder would remain, but no files!!

Bought/tried three different SD cards. 2x32gb and 1x512mb. I think as above, one sd card was faulty, but unlucky three times? I don't think so.

I've then tried copying to the internal, which appears more stable. On some testing initially on getting the tablet, the files would copy over but would say they were 'damaged' or 'incomplete'. Since I've ditched the original (possibly defective) sd card and used the A.F.T via usb, it seems better; Two video files I copied have stayed on there and still played. Photos appears to stay on there, but home movies (quicktime), only some older videos play, not any newer stuff. But oh, I created a movie in iMovie from home movie footage, and that appears to play.

Frankly it's doing my head in. I can't work out if the tablet is faulty, my movies are in a wrong format or whatever?! I copied a movie on just now, and it's staying on the sd card, file size the same, but doesn't play. No images, nothing.

I'm so confused. Archos support has been shocking so far. I'm quite regretting the purchase. Any ideas? Sorry for length of question.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:24 pm 

I haven't tried the new generation of archos, but I did get a generation 9 which was was a bit less mac friendly than before. So I assume your files originate on a Mac, and gen10 archos also cannot simply plug in usb unless it has a file xfer utility from archos.com (did you get that?). I got that to work (can't remember if it could reach sdcard) and also got some wifi ftp program to work, but now easier to just plug it into a new windows convertible I got which needs no conversion utility.

How are you looking for files... from the video app itself? Normally much better to look for them from a files app and launch video or whatever from there. At least when you are getting started and want to see what you really have. The other apps are only made aware of files by a media scanning process that can be incomplete by the time you look, or make mistakes.

I would expect you have a FILES app, or can download a nice one with lots of features like ES file explorer. Also get MX PLAYER or whatever that super robust video app is called (you don't normally need the specialized versions of it)... it has a software decode mode that can at least limp thru videos that you aren't equipped to normally play. Not sure if these apps are avail for your generation of device, but gives you some ideas to play with.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yep, I'm using the 'approved' Android File Transfer program, which is what Archos recommend you use for getting your data across. I've tried the wifi, but this is quicker by far. Yep, also tried to open them/view via the file browser and not the media applications. No joy. In fact, using the file browser you can almost see the files disappear before your very eyes..

I put in an email to Archos. Still no reply. So I rang them last saturday and spoke to a man who seemed very confused about the situation. So I've been emailed a return label and they will take a look at it. In fact he said we'll probably just replace it, so whether they will investigate what's causing it is anybodies guess.

I'll update here when I get my replacement (who knows how long that will take. will try and post today/tomorrow) to see if it still happens!!

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:15 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

How are you looking for files... from the video app itself? Normally much better to look for them from a files app and launch video or whatever from there. At least when you are getting started and want to see what you really have. The other apps are only made aware of files by a media scanning process that can be incomplete by the time you look, or make mistakes.