Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:50 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have a 320 with 120g. drive and want to put a larger one in it. Anyone know what the largest drive the Archos O.S. will recognize?
Thanks,
Rick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:43 am 
Archos User
Archos User

it cannot recognise beyond the 28bit LBA limit. Thus the most the o/s can see is 128GiB (binary) or 137GB (decimal).

I put a 160 disk in mine and partitioned it for max recognisable space, and the other partition can only be seen through USB but can be used for data etc, or to swap round movies to the other partition while connected to USB. For max space install a 160 drive and format it internally with the av300, the remaining space will just be ignored but you will get an extra 20GB or so compared to the 120 depending on how you measure it!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to put in a 160 drive and I guess what you are saying is to format it though the USB port using a Windows formatting utility rather than just connecting it to an IDE interface on my Mboard, which is how I have formatted these drives in the past. Then partition off the unused space to a second partition? I don't see any format utility on the Archos. Too bad no one (ie.rockbox) ever worked on this O.S.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:03 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

There is an internal format and this will give you the last byte in recognisable space. Latest firmware, go to setup, system and hold F3 for 5 secs to appear in screen.