Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:22 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: AV380 doesn't charge
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello, this is my first post on this forum.

A friend of mine gave me an old Archos Video AV380 that he told me was broken, he told me that he left it for years without charging it and that it no longer charged or turned on. I love this kind of thing and took it off his hands. It's the 80Gb version with a camera attachment. I'm going on a trip soon and it would be a nice thing to take, so I'm looking for a way to repair it.
He didn't give me a charger with it, but I have a 5 Volt charger for a different device that fits it fine.
The device will not power on, and does not seem to be charging, I read after browsing your forum for a while that a problem a few people had was a fuse on the mainboard blowing, which would be easy to solder, however I can't actually find a way to open the device, nor can I find any disassembly manuals online.

I'd very much appreciate if any of you guys can advise me on what the problem might be, or how to strip the device.

Post subject: Re: AV380 doesn't charge
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:57 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Sounds like the fuse. There used to be pic tutorials for this but the links are now dead, so this is from memory. Basically take out the torx screws in the rubber bumpers, take out the tiny screw and slide out the battery cover. Gently shake the battery out writing down which way back it goes in. The bottom cover is held in by little plastic clips on all sides. Best method is fingernails round the edge until it clicks up and can be removed. Now you can slide the hard drive out past the rubber bumpers which cover the hd corners. Now you can see the board, and may need to remove the top cover to see the other side under the screen in the same way. It should be simple to follow the center contact on the dc socket and see the first surface mount component it goes to which will be the fuse. Solder a short across it and reassemble enough to fit the battery. The 300 will not work or switch on without some battery even connected to 5V. If the battery is totally shot it still will not turn on connected to 5V but you should at least see a charging led.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Do the rubber bumpers slide off? I don't see any screws on them. It's fairly easy to get access to the battery, however it's pretty tight, and I don't seem to be able to slide it out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:34 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I left the bumpers in place, just bent the edges out of the way to slide the hd out. Battery can be tight, best to shake it hard with one hand and catch immediately with the other half out to see which way it went in.